30 May 2011

Fabric Flower Tutorials


I'm sometimes asked how I make the fabric flower brooches I sell on my craft stall and had planned to put together a tutorial.  However, rather than re-invent the wheel I decided it was better to post details of where I got my ideas from in the first place. 

The very first design I tried was this one from Pink Paper Peppermints   However, I've experimented with all kinds of different sizes and any fabric from quilting cotton to velvet, they all seem to work with this flower.   The flower in the top photo is a variation of this design, I've just sewn several of them together and added a self cover button.

I also make a lot of 'Kanzashi' folded flowers, which are a little more difficult and required a really good tutorial before I could understand how they worked.  I looked at several. but this one from Bitty Bits and Pieces seemed to be fairly straightforward to follow.  Using these instructions I (eventually) made these.



I love making these little flowers, they are a really great way to use up small scraps of fabric of all kinds (the ones pictured are all made out of curtain lining).  My own additional tips for success would be:

  • When using cotton, always starch the fabric before you start - this makes it nice and crisp looking and easier to fold.
  • Use really strong thread to gather petals and sew them together, this saves you from the frustration of thread breaking halfway through a flower and having to start all over again.
  • Glue AND sew the buttons on - just to be on the safe side!
  • If you use an ordinary two or four holed button, thread it first with some ribbon or embroidery thread for effect.
  • Experiment with lots of different fabrics for different finishes. 

24 May 2011

A BIT OF A CATCH UP

Well let's see what's been happening since my last post here...

We've had a new addition to the family - meet Ruby the Jack Russell.



with, of course, my lovely daughter...

John's been back to Crete to do some roof repairs which will hopefully cure the leaky bedroom.


He's also done some dry stone walling - love the hat!  But such a shame it's so cold!



He also found a little time to put his feet up in the sunshine.


Unfortunately, it was the worst April Crete has had for years so there wasn't much sunshine...  except for the one week when I joined him!

I've also helped to organise and take part in a charity craft fair at our church and sold lots of my bags, which was a real boost to my confidence, having sold almost nothing at the last fair I did.  I've also sold two bags on Folksy to a now 'regular' customer, who loves my bags - thanks Margaret!

In the next week or so I'm planning to start a new quilt, do a bit of crochet, if I can get hold of some oddments of yarn, make a few more bags and some zipped pouches.  Watch this space for updates and photos!