30 May 2011

Fabric Flower Tutorials


I'm sometimes asked how I make the fabric flower brooches I sell on my craft stall and had planned to put together a tutorial.  However, rather than re-invent the wheel I decided it was better to post details of where I got my ideas from in the first place. 

The very first design I tried was this one from Pink Paper Peppermints   However, I've experimented with all kinds of different sizes and any fabric from quilting cotton to velvet, they all seem to work with this flower.   The flower in the top photo is a variation of this design, I've just sewn several of them together and added a self cover button.

I also make a lot of 'Kanzashi' folded flowers, which are a little more difficult and required a really good tutorial before I could understand how they worked.  I looked at several. but this one from Bitty Bits and Pieces seemed to be fairly straightforward to follow.  Using these instructions I (eventually) made these.



I love making these little flowers, they are a really great way to use up small scraps of fabric of all kinds (the ones pictured are all made out of curtain lining).  My own additional tips for success would be:

  • When using cotton, always starch the fabric before you start - this makes it nice and crisp looking and easier to fold.
  • Use really strong thread to gather petals and sew them together, this saves you from the frustration of thread breaking halfway through a flower and having to start all over again.
  • Glue AND sew the buttons on - just to be on the safe side!
  • If you use an ordinary two or four holed button, thread it first with some ribbon or embroidery thread for effect.
  • Experiment with lots of different fabrics for different finishes. 

4 comments:

  1. These flowers are so lovely and are even better in the flesh so to speak. I should have taken more notice when you where sat next to me making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These flowers are so lovely...just fantastic work.Art is a necessity for every sort and condition of man and is actually found in every healthy society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, they are gorgeous!! How clever!
    Hugs
    Jenny
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Jenny-just wondering if you are ok-have missed reading your blogs ! Happy New Year cheers Teri

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I promise to reply!