26 October 2009

Little Fabric Wallet Tutorial

This is my very first tutorial so please let me know if it doesn't make sense. I've made quite a few of these little snap wallets, they are great for mobile phones, cameras, jewellery, tissues and any other small items you need to carry in your handbag. You can make them any size and they are great for using up scraps of leftover fabric and batting.
First make your outer fabric. You can either use one piece of fabric cut to size, or a piece of patchwork (I made mine 5" x 8" from two different fabrics). Place your wadding on the back of the fabric and quilt as desired. I also used some calico on the back of the quilted piece, just to make it easier to quilt.
Cut a piece of lining the same size as the outer, you can use some interfacing on this if you like, I didn't bother. You can see that I have shaped both pieces at the flap end. Place the two fabrics right sides together, pin and then sew all the way around, leaving a small gap approximately 2" down one side, to turn.
Turn right sides out, then press carefully, pressing creases in the seam of the open part so that it will sew up easily.Topstitch along the bottom edge of the purse, the bit that will fold up and under the flap.

Fold and sew, starting at one bottom corner, sewing right around the flap and finishing at the other bottom corner, making sure that the opening you left for turning is closed up carefully as you go.
Attach snap fastener, Velcro, button or press stud as desired.

Your wallet is finished - easy wasn't it?

9 comments:

  1. really nice tutorial.. and cute wallet! Looks easy to make as nice little gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tutorial. What a simple but effective project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tutorial is good, It,s putting the closing stud on things that makes me nervous . I love the colours of the quilt in your header------------cottonreel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great wallets and a very nice tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, Jenny!! Look what happens when I don't look at blogland for a day!! Well done, excellent tutorial...
    I've been searching for the popper fasteners..non in Ag Nik so a trip to Heraklion I think next week..wish me luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea and very clear instructions. I had been thinking only yesterday that I needed to make a wallet for my mobile phone, as I am always losing it (husband mowed over the last one that I dropped in the long grass!). I might adapt what you have suggested and hang it in a loop for when I am working out of doors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeh, yeh, can I make one for my paper bag swap- and Christmas presents- and teachers presents? I shall be having a go for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what lovely quilting, is it free motion? I cant get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I promise to reply!