27 May 2009

QUILTED VELVET SHOULDER BAG

What do I do with a day off and a bag of velvet remnants? Well this is the result, I like it, hope you do too! I lined the bag with some lovely co-ordinating print which never looked quite right for any of my quilt designs

First I sewed strips of velvet together, added batting and some calico for backing and quilted down the seams. The resulting fabric was then made into the bag and the lining added separately. I put a little zip pocket in the lining just to finish it off and added the closure with a magnetic clip. Velvet is difficult to work with as it frays like mad and my floor was covered in little bits after I had finished, but I think the result was worth it!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny the bag is great what a great way to use up fabric remnants. I loved your story how you met your partner.
    The flowers from your garden are gorgeous I love those Aqualegias excuse my bad spelling there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely bag!
    Well done, nice way to spend a day off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You clever person you. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great bag!! it makes me wish i could sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty. A great way to use up off cuts too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh that's lovely...now you've reminded me that I have some velvet stashed away....

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I promise to reply!